Sunday 19 July 2015

My Goals For Leeds


Its been difficult finding the motivation at the moment to sit down and actually write. I'm basically working full time at the moment and I'm constantly exhausted. I find myself making more time for taking blog photos than actually writing which is fine but I started this blog so I could have a bit of fun and use the skills from my English course and I feel like I haven't been doing that. However, Sundays are the more talky of my blog posts so its time to just sit and do it. In this case rather than a graduate's advice I'm going to talk about the goals I want to achieve when I move to Leeds. I feel like I'm in limbo at the moment so having some goals for when I move helps me push through these last 7 weeks. I know these aren't going to happen all at once and really I'm looking at a couple of years doing them all but I'm the type of person who likes structure and planning so this is great.

Take up swimming
I used to swim all the time as a kid. It was my favourite activity and I did it about 3 times a week with my grandparents. However, as I moved into being a teenager body issues and generally being the angst-y emo kid I was put a halt to that. However, I feel better about myself and I want to do it again. Its good exercise and I'd find it a lot easier to get out of bed if I could get into a nice swimming pool if I was to go to the gym. Plus they make swimsuits with a skirt now and I'm all for that even if its not the most practical.

Do the 5k run in Leeds
I don't know why I want to do this. I despise running and unless I'm in a zombie apocalypse situation I will only do it begrudgingly. However, to train and achieve the goal even if its just a little one attracts me to doing this. It fits into my new city, new me ethos that I want to follow and hopefully its something I can train towards.

Eat healthier and cook from scratch
Last on the new me front is to eat healthier. I have a sweet tooth that is just terrible and over summer its gotten worse because I hate cooking in my mums kitchen because the oven only goes up to 150 degrees which drives me much because I can't time anything. I spent my third year of university cooking from scratch and I want to recapture that. However, I know its going to be more difficult with 2 full time jobs so as always I'll meal plan and plan what to cook on weekends so that there's leftovers for the week. Feeding the freezer is necessary and I need to get into the swing of doing that all the while sneaking in vegetables to every meal. I'll get a couple of healthy cookbooks and it should be ok. 

'Re-learn' Spanish
I did Spanish to A-Level and I was great at it. I always sucked at my speaking exam because of nerves though in my final one I got 61/70 thanks to taking too much rescue remedy and then I believed in my abilities. However, its been three years and I remember more French than I do Spanish and I hate that. Its such a beautiful language and I want to be able to hold a conversation again on something other than how many sisters I have and what my favorite colour is. I can remember really random things like ceguera (blindness) or viejo verde (a colloquialism meaning dirty old man) but really that isn't enough because I've basically forgotten most verbs. I know once I get into a classroom environment it'll all come flooding back so I just have to do that and re-learn.

Learn to Drive
I wasn't allowed a part-time job until I finished school so there was no way I could afford the lessons, the test and the insurance of learning to drive as a teenager. However, I'll have a full time and most importantly steady job I'll finally be able to afford it. I want to be able to drive all over England. Even though my co-worker has warned me about learning to drive in Leeds is hellish I'm still willing to tackle it head on.

Travel
I love travelling, thanks to my mum I saw a lot of Europe but I want to see more and my dream is to interrail. I really want to see Berlin and speak about it like I have something booked and I constantly (maybe not constantly) talk with my boyfriend of all the places we'll go. When I'm bored I'll go on expedia and plan trips, its awful but I have some savings that will hopefully be left over after the move so its a possibility and once I've got my steady job I can really plan and save hard for all the experiences I want.

Keep up this blog
I've really been enjoying this blog and everything that comes with it so hopefully once I make it to Leeds I'll still have time to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment